What to Know Before You Register
Do I need to see a doctor before I can register?
Yes. If you haven’t already done so, schedule an appointment with a registered physician*. If you qualify at the end of your appointment, you will receive a copy of the Patient Certification form.
*Find a registered physician here
Can I send in my own completed Patient Certification form to the Office of Medical Cannabis?
Only a registered physician can submit a copy of the Completed Patient Certification form directly to the Office of Medical Cannabis. Patients should NOT email or mail the Patient Certification form to the Office of Medical Cannabis. Registering for a Patient Card from the Office of Medical Cannabis is separate from registering for a physicians’ visit and getting a Patient Certification form.
Can my normal doctor fill out the Patient Certification form?
Only physicians who have completed a mandatory four-hour physician education course and are registered with the Office of Medical Cannabis can complete and send in the Patient Certification form.
What information do I need to provide for registration?
- Digital photo of passport quality
- Photo ID, such as a copy of your driver’s license
- Proof of West Virginia residency. View the list of acceptable documentation
- Copy of the completed Patient Certification form provided to you by your Physician
NOTE: If requesting a
fee waiver based on financial hardship (income below 200% of the federal poverty level), provide acceptable proof of income, such as W-2, recent pay stubs, proof of benefit eligibility, etc. Please do not send payment if you are requesting the fee waiver. If the waiver is not granted, you will be notified to submit the fee at that time.
Will my card last forever?
No, cards will expire after one (1) year for patients who register after October 1, 2021.
What is considered a “serious medical condition” under the Act?
- Position status for human immunodeficiency virus or acquired immune deficiency syndrome
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity
- Huntington’s disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Intractable seizures
- Sickle cell anemia
- Severe chronic or intractable pain of neuropathic origin or severe chronic or intractable pain
- Terminal illness that is defined as a medical prognosis of life expectancy of approximately one year or less if the illness runs its normal course
How to Register
To get a medical cannabis patient card, you need to:
- Review the list of qualifying medical conditions below.
- Identify a physician in your area from the registered physician list available
here. Telehealth is also available.
- Schedule an appointment with a registered physician.
- Once you receive your Patient Certification form from the physician, apply for your medical cannabis card in the
registration portal. You will need to register for an account if you don’t already have one. Click the “REGISTER” button in the top, righthand corner.
- Complete the application in the
- Submit payment (unless a financial hardship waiver is requested and approved).
Your application will be reviewed within 30-60 days and you will receive an email regarding the status of your application.
If your application is denied, you will be informed of the reason. If your application needs a correction, it will be rejected and sent back to you to correct and resubmit. You will not need to create and submit a new application.
If your application is approved, your WV Medical Cannabis patient card will be issued.
RENEWING your patient card
Schedule and obtain your annual Physician's Certification.
Log into your account
Create, complete and submit a Patient Renewal application.
Submit payment (unless a financial hardship waiver is requested and approved).
Find a Physician
Find a list of currently registered physicians
The following companies are providing patient certification by telehealth. These links are provided to facilitate patient access. OMC will post links for any other registered providers upon request.
Click here for the Background Check Non-Criminal Justice Applicants Privacy Rights
Click here to view the Patient Registration Checklist.
Click here to view the Patient Registration User Guide.
- Click here to view the Patient User Guide for Submitting a Renewal Application
Click here for the Application to Request that an Additional Medical Condition Qualify for Medical Cannabis Usage in West Virginia.
Click here for the Caregiver Designation Form.
- Click here for the New Application for Caregivers.
- Click here for the Patient Authorization for Designation of Caregiver
- Click here for the Authorization to Release Patient Card Holder Status
- Click here for the Criminal Background Check Acknowledgement
- Click here for the Background Check Privacy Act Statement