Office of Medical Cannabis
Office of Medical Cannabis


page break.png​​​​​​

 What to Know Before You Register​

 Do I need to see a doctor before I can register?

 Yes. If you haven’t already done so, schedule an appointment with a registered physician. If you qualify at the end of your appointment, you will receive an email notifying you of approval. Visit the  "Schedule an Appointment" page linked below. 

 Can I recieve a certification from my primary physician? 

Physicians who have completed a mandatory four-hour physician education course and are registered with the Office of Medical Cannabis (OMC) cancertify patients for medical cannabis. Registered physcians will submit your completed certication form directly to the OMC. 

NOTE: Registering for a physicians appointment is separate from applying and registering for a patient card with the OMC. Patients should NOT email or mail the Patient Certification form to the OMC. 

Schedule an Appointment​​

What information do I need to provide for registration?

  • Digital photo of passport quality
  • Photo ID, such as a copy of your driver’s license, passport, or state ID. 
  • Proof of West Virginia residency. View the list of acceptable documentation here
  • Physician Certification
NOTE: If requesting a fee waiver​ based on financial hardship (income below 200% of the federal poverty level), provide acceptable proof of income, such as W-2, recent pay stubs, proof of benefit eligibility, etc. Please do not send payment if you are requesting the fee waiver. If the waiver is not granted, you will be notified to submit the fee at that time. 

Will my card last forever?

No, cards will expire after one (1) year. Patients must revisit with a registered physician and submit a renewal application annually. 

For a Complete Patient Registration Guide CLICK HERE

page break.png

​How to Register

To get a medical cannabis​ patient card, you need to:

  • Review the list of qualifying medical conditions​.
  • Schedule an appointment​ with a registered physician in-person or online.
  • Once you recieve a Patient Certification from the physician, apply for your medical cannabis card using the link below.  
    • You will need to register for an account if you don’t already have one. 
    • Click the “REGISTER button in the top, righthand corner.
  • Verify the account via the link sent to the email account ​​​​you used to register. 
  • Complete the application in the registration portal (MyComplia) linked below.
  • Submit payment via mail (check or money order) or online payment option available with personal checking account information  (unless a financial hardship waiver is requested and approved).

Screenshot 2024-06-26 135158.png​      

     If mailing a check or money order: 

​                 (a) ​make payable to West Virginia Department of Health 

                 (b) include the application reference number given after submitting the application

                 (c) mail to 350 Capitol St, Room 523, Charleston, WV 25301

Your application will be reviewed within 30 days. After review, you will receive an email update about the status of your application. 

 If your application is approved, you will be notified via email to login and download your approved OMC Medical ID Card.

 If your application needs a correction, it will be rejected and sent back to you to correct and resubmit.You will not need to create a new application, only make the corrections. If your application is denied, you will be informed of the reason via email. ​

page break.png


  • Schedule and obtain your annual Physician's Certification.

  • Log into your account​​.

  • Create, complete and submit a Patient Renewal application.

  • Submit payment via mail or online (unless a financial hardship waiver is requested and approved). 

page break.png